Gentler Names to Inhumane Israeli Practices
Translating Israel and media language
- The occupied territories are the "disputed" territories;
- Colonies are "settlements" or even "communities" ;
- Occupied southern Lebanon is Israel's "security zone";
- Expanding settlements is "unhelpful" (Clinton/Albright) instead of illegal;
- Expanding settlements (25-50% of which are empty according to the Associated Press and NY Times) is "necessary natural growth";
- A settlement established in occupied East Jerusalem is a "neighborhood"
- Expulsion of Palestinians is "transfer";
- Conquest of Jerusalem in 1967 is "liberation";
- Torture of Palestinian prisoners is "moderate physical & psychological pressure";
- Al-Khalil is "Hebron, Jabal Abou Ghoneim is "Har Homa", The West Bank is "Judea and Samaria," Gaza is "Yesha";
- Rubber-coated steel bullets are just "Rubbet Bullets";
- A 12-year old Palestinian rock thrower is a "terrorist";
- An Israeli terrorist is an "extremist" or a "mentally unstable";
- Palestinians' rightful resistance to occupation is "terrorism";
- Confiscating Palestinian land in Jerusalem for Jewish use is "uniting Jerusalem";
- Confiscating/purchasing Palestinian land is "redeeming" it;
- Land reserved for the sole use of Jews is "state land";
- Returning occupied land to the Palestinians is "giving up" land;
- Racism and racial exclusivity is a "demographic problem";
- Locking up Palestinians without charges or due trial is "administrative detention"
- Locking up and suffocating the Palestinians in the W. Bank is "closure";
- Ethnic cleansing of Palestinians in Jerusalem is "meeting a quota";
- A Lebanese civilian site raided by Israel is a " (suspected) guerilla/terrorist site";
- Israeli raids are always "retaliations";
- Establishment of an Israeli-puppet regime in Lebanon is "normalization"
- Israeli prisoners of war are "hostages" (e.g. Ron Arad);
- Invading and destroying Lebanon in 1982 is "Peace for Galilee".